Did you know you know you can climb Mt Kenya and Summit Point Lenana at 5,199 m in only 2 days and 1 night? It would cost you less work days, a lower budget and you’d have a photo to show for it.
Yes, it’s practical to climb the mountain in two days and I’ll show you exactly how. You’d need to drive to Old Moses camp by 8.00 a.m. and start your hike there. By late afternoon you’d have arrived at the base of the summit at Shipton camp. Early morning you would ascend point Lenana, take a photo and descend all the way to Old Moses camp. A vehicle would pick you at Old Moses Camp and immediately exit Mount Kenya park in a record two days.
The downside of a rushed 2 day mountain climbing is that you are likely to stretch your body chemistry. Climbing Mt Kenya (or any other high altitude mountain) is a test for low oxygen adaptability than it is about fitness. Rapidly gaining elevation can lead to altitude sickness. The sickness, occurs when you cannot get enough oxygen from the air at high altitudes.
Here at Begin North Adventures, we desist from what we call ‘signboard tours‘. A signboard being a board displaying a sign to direct traffic or travellers. A signboard tour is what you’d see in hurried road trips, where a traveller will make 1 minutes stops and take a photo against a signboard. Those signboard photos are to prove to friends that indeed they went such and such a place.
We do not codemn ‘signboard tours‘, it’s only that, that is not the kind of experience we wish to deliver to our guests. When on a road trip for example, we wish a guest to understand the geography, the economic activities, the culture. We also encourage guests to make people connections, enjoy new foods and more.
Q. In the case of climbing Mt Kenya, how can one avoid a signboard experience?
A. Slow down and smell the roses – Stopping to smell the roses is an act of appreciation and recognizing the source of the goodness that abound on our hiking path.
Now, instead of some mean 2 days on the mountain to take a signboard photo. We shall Begin Hiking Mount Kenya on a generous 5 days and 4 nights. While at it, we shall take caution to acclimatise i.e. Take time to become accustomed to the new climatic conditions every step of the way.
Since climbing Mount Kenya is not an every weekend affair, why not take the time to explore the beauty of the mountain that abounds. We shall be taking our time with experienced guides to camp near Mt Kenya crater lakes. How about a detour to visit some caves, gorges, ridges and tarns. Prepare to be wowed by a unique experience that you may never have thought of or even read about.
Lest we forget, we shall summit to Point Lenana alright, but also prepare for the elment of pleasant surprise along the way. Get ready, for an optical nutrition treat while climbing Mount Kenya with Begin North Adventures and be part of a select few that get to breathe air that has not been breathed before. Soak in fresh experiences that have not been chronicled before.
Begin 5 Days, 4 Nights Climbing Mt Kenya Package
- Day 1: Nairobi – Lake Ellis (3460m)
- Depart Nairobi for Chogoria
- Mt Chogoria Gate – Lunch
- spectacular views of Mugi Hii, Ithanguni and the Giant’s Billiards Table
- Hike to Lake Ellis and camp overnight
- Day 2: Lake Ellis – Lake Michaelson (4100m)
- Views of Vivienne Falls, Gorges Valley
- Lunch on the way
- Camp at Lake Michaelson
- Day 3: Lake Michaelson – Austrian Hut (4,700m)
- views of huge rock walls, cool streams
- Luch at Austrian hut
- After lunch we explore the Lewis Glacier and Ice cave
- Dinner and overnight at camp
- Day 4: Austrian Hut – Lenana Summit (4,985 m) – Shipton Camp(4,200m)
- True experience of an alpine region – cold, windy, snowy
- stunning tropic sunrise at point Lenana Summit
- Brunch at Shipton
- Afternoon, explore nearby features (tarns, caves, gorges and more)
- Day 5: Shipton – Old Moses (3,300m asl) – Nairobi
- Descend to Old Moses camp for Lunch
- Depart for Nairobi via Nanyuki
Price: Kes. 7,900 per day (Kes. 39,500 for entire trip)
Included in Price
- Transfer from Nairobi to Mount Kenya Chogoria Gate.
- Transfer from Old Moses Camp to Nairobi via Nanyuki
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.
- Accommodations in camps/tents/huts as per the itinerary
- Balanced meals by a professional chef
- Treated water (Chlorine/waterguard)
- Park fees
- Professional Guest Service of:
- English-speaking Professional Guide and assistant(s)
- Experienced Chef and Sous chef
- Courteous Potters
- Sleeping bags, Tips, and drinks
- Climbing gears
- Personal Effects
- Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary
DATES: 2021. September 18-22
5 Days Mt Kenya, Crater Lakes, Caves and Point Lenana Summit: Kes. 39,500
To RSVP to Call/Text/WA +254748627375/ email email@example.com
Payments via Mpesa: Paybill: 763 766 Account: 915 382
We have day Prep hikes in June, July, August (please purpose to attend at least two). whatsapp and request for next trips. Prep hikes have a lot of learning that suits you personally – that you would otherwise not pick up from blogs or a what to do, what to carry list.